Sunday, March 29, 2015

Season of Fear (Cab Bolton #2) by Brian Freeman



Book: Season of Fear (Cab Bolton #2)

Author: Brian Freeman

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Ten years ago, a prominent gubernatorial candidate is publicly assassinated during a fundraising event. Present day, the same action is threatened when the widow is herself running for the same office. Who is behind these vicious crimes and why? Cab Bolton, at the request of his starlet mother, comes in to get the answers before history repeats itself.

My rating: Most of Mr. Freeman's books get 5 stars and me chomping at the bit to get my hands on the next one. Season of Fear was no exception.

My opinion: Having been a Jonathon Stride and Brian Freeman stand alone fan for years, I jumped at the chance to review this book and, as expected, was not disappointed. I read the first in the series, The Bone House, years ago, so it took me a bit to remember who Cab was.

One thing that stood out to me knowing both characters well is that Cab Bolton comes across as Jonathan Stride's alter ego. Jonathan is a bit laid back from Minnesota, while Cab is a handsome, well put together detective from Florida. This carries over to their personalities and upbringing, as well.

Aside from that,  Freeman's standard high quality writing wrapped up in another gripping story that had me page one coupled with nice twists throughout.

I will still admit that between Cab and Jonathan, Jonathan still has my heart. Cab isn't a bad guy though. Just a bit too flashy for me.  

Source: Quercus for review

Would I recommend? : Mr. Freeman is on my list of top five recommended living American mystery writers that I give to readers when asked for recommendations.

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Second in Series. Read the series. Freeman's books are incredibly character driven, which is why they are so high quality. Characters are very easy to get attached to as past events are referred to frequently throughout his series.

No comments:

Post a Comment