Sunday, June 7, 2015

American Ghost: The True Story of a Family's Haunted Past by Hannah Nordhaus




Book: American Ghost

Author: Hannah Nordhaus

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Ms. Nordhaus goes on the search for her past, which happens to include a great, great grandmother who is known to haunt a hotel in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Why can't Julia finally rest?

My rating: 3 Stars

My opinion: I found this book to be ok, not great, but not horrible either. I went into it thinking it was a true ghost story and found that it was more of a memoir. Unfortunately, as I changed my approach to reviewing the book, I found my interest in it waned.

As the author was discussing her attempts to decode her past, she talked heavily about the use of psychics, mediums, etc. and just went down that entire path versus looking strongly/being dependent on genealogical research . At that point, she lost me and I found myself rolling my eyes a whole lot.

I wished she would have focused more heavily on was the family history of mental illness and how the illness and its perception was impacted by that period of time.

Source: Netgalley for Publisher

Would I recommend? : The jury is still out on my recommendation. Frankly, I finished this book several months ago and had I not have taken copious notes, would have forgotten it.

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment