Sunday, May 26, 2013

Norwegian By Night by Derek B. Miller




Book: Norwegian by Night
 
Author: Derek B. Miller
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: NY native Sheldon Horowitz, 80, a widower in the early stages of dementia, packs up and moves to Oslo, Norway to be closer to his granddaughter to live out the rest of his life quietly. Plans don't quite go as he planned when a senseless act of violence leaves a boy motherless and Sheldon as his only protector. 
 
My rating: 4 Stars
 
My opinion: I loved this book but don't know if I would call it Nordic Noir. This book definitely had an American feel (the author is a transplanted American) to it vs. the traditional twisted NN feel. The storyline was still unusual in nature and well written. I would read more by this author. I just wouldn't do it as a classic Nordic Noir read.

There was a lot of reference to the Korean War, but was still had some feel of a Nordic Noir police procedural. Too boot, the book was hilarious, but not in a annoying or "overplayed" manner.  In my opinion, Mr. Miller has really managed to develop a "hybrid" genre that really worked in this book.  

Cathy Cole, a Goodread's friend of mine nailed it when she stated in her review "This is a book that defies categorization. It's part thriller, part police procedural, part road trip, part commentary on aging/relationships/dementia-- and it has flashes of comedy throughout. "

Read Cathy's full review: http://bit.ly/14T64w4
 
Source: Edelweiss for Houghton Mifflin Publishing
        
Would I recommend? : Yes, this is the author's first fictional work, I hope it isn't his last.
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment