Wednesday, January 23, 2019

My Life Among the Underdogs: A Memoir by Tia Torres






Book: My Life Among the Underdogs: A Memoir

Author: Tia Torres

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Tia Torres, star of Animal Planet's Pit Bulls and Parolees and founder of Villalobos Rescue Center, enters the publishing world by partnering aspects of her life with the important dogs who helped her navigate them.

My rating: 5 Stars. Please see my opinion as to why I didn't earn one of my very rare 10/5 stars. 

My opinion: I knew this was going to be a great book and Ms. Torres did not disappoint. She selected stories to make one laugh in one chapter and cry in the next. Stories were written with vividness to bring the reader into the story. 

So, why the 5 stars versus a 10/5 stars that this book EASILY could have achieved? Ms. Torres took the time for us to get to know these dogs and to love them. For some reason, pictures of the dogs were not included in the book to seal the deal on that experience. Anyone who has watched the show since the beginning got to know Lucky, Bluie and, I believe, Monster. I would have loved to have seen the other dogs. To me, it would have made reader experience complete. I can't believe with the importance of these dogs in the lives of her family there would not be a ton of pictures to select from. 

Ms. Torres has gone above and beyond to show her talent as a writer. I really hope that this is seen as a stepping stone for more books on dogs from the rescue. I would LOVE to know the story behind her crazy hound Jethro and to use this platform to continue to be the spokeswoman for destroying the bias and bigotry against such a majestic and loving breed of dog as the Pit Bull. I have to say that I have a really strong suspicion she could write some killer fiction too. 

Source: Purchased

Would I recommend?:  Really? DUH! Already have numerous times over. This woman OOZES #womanpower packaged up in a talent for bringing for a killer book! 

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand alone with the hopes and prayers that she will use this opportunity to write more non-fiction and fiction. There are SO many paths she could take and she has proven herself an incredibly gifted writer. 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great. I am a dog lover and your review makes me feel this author needs to be added to my reading list. Thanks for sharing.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete