Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Driven: From Homeless to Hero by Donald Driver





Book: Driven: From Homeless to Hero, My Journeys on and off Lambeau Field
 
Author: Donald Driver
 
Narrator (if applicable): n/a

Release date (if applicable): October 22, 2013

Synopsis: Driver details his life from his childhood to his career with the Green Bay Packers. He invites readers into his life as a homeless child, his unstable childhood and life choices as a drug dealer up until his entry into the world of professional football.
 
My rating: 3.5 Stars
 
My opinion: OK, I have to preface this review by saying that I am a Chicago Bears fan until the day they bag and tag me. Anyone who knows ANYTHING about football knows that the rivalry between the Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packer FANS (I think the players have difficulties remembering it) is nothing to be played with.  On that note, there are PLAYERS on the Packers that I have a lot of respect for. Donald Driver is one of those players. 

While Driver depicts his life adversities, I would have liked to seen him go deeper into them. There will be a large number of children/youth who read this book and, as depicted in the title, in my humble opinion, Mr. Driver has a lot that he can teach our youth, especially since he calls himself a "hero" in the title. This book was a very, very short 156 pages and he crammed a whole lot of time into those pages. I think he could have either written less on football to accomplish what I expressed earlier OR made the book longer. I would also like to have seen more written regarding his foundation, as it has done a number of good things. 

There was also some feeling that the writing was discombulated and that the writing jumped around a bit more than what would have been expected. I am not sure if he used a ghostwriter or not, but it might have benefited for him to.  
 
Source: Crown
      
Would I recommend? :  Yes
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series:  Stand Alone

On that note: Bear Down, Baby! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment