Friday, March 8, 2013

A Door in the River by Inger Ash Wolfe





Book: A Door in the River (Hazel Micallef Mysteries #3)
 
Author: Inger Ash Wolfe
 
Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Hazel Micallef, a say it like it is police chief with a small Ontario, Canada town, is back. This time investigating the death of a friend that the coroner and police have written off as an allergic reaction to wasp stings. Can the death be that simple? My first assumption, NOPE! What sinister happenings are occurring in this small town that will be uncovered?
 
My rating: 3.5 Stars
 
My opinion: I must admit that I had a harder time with this book than I have had with any of the other books in the series. 

First, it took me much longer to get into this book than any of the others. Midway, the book simply took off, but by that time it was too late. The author had lost me. Once I am lost in a book, it is very hard to get my interest back. He had an excellent twist to end the book with and I found myself simply shrugging my shoulders. I think had Wolfe written a different crime or minimally law enforcement's reaction to start the book off with, I would have been hooked.

Second, I found how Hazel had come into the "crime" to be a bit unbelievable. It almost had the feeling of Keystone cops and coroners. The author, in previous releases, had me hooked from page one with how "true to life" the procedural had been. This one was a bit lost.

Third, I found the whole issue with the mother to be a bit distracting to the storyline. However, this author is very character driven when it comes to Hazel. Although, I found this to be distracting, it does not surprise me that it would be included.

Source: Library
       
Would I recommend? : Yes, although this book was somewhat a dud to me, the series is ROCKIN'!
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Part of series

No comments:

Post a Comment