Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Three Souls: A Novel by Janie Chang





Book: Three Souls: A Novel
 
Author: Janie Chang
 
Narrator (if applicable): n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: In 1935,  China is on the brink of Communism. Leiyin has passed, but is unable to enter the afterlife. Her three souls (yin, yang and hun) have a lesson she needs to learn before passing over. What does it have to do with her spoiled childhood and her strong will as an adult woman? Will she learn her lesson or be stuck in limbo?
 
My rating: My second 10 stars out of 5 stars of 2014.
 
My opinion: To call this book amazing is not giving it enough credit. There was just something just hauntingly beautiful, on so many levels, about this book. 

The author wrote characters and a setting which were so strong that I felt like I was there. The storyline, which was set in the beginning of Communist China , gives an engrossing description of the status of women and their struggles for identity. 

I started off with a egalley of this book, but ended up waiting for it to come out in print form before finishing. This was one of those books that I think my entertainment of the book was enhanced by having the feeling of pages between my fingers. 

This is the author's debut and I can't wait to read more from her.
 
Source: Publisher for review
     
Would I recommend? : I have recommended this book many times, including for Sisterhood of the Traveling Book book of the month.
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment