Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Children Act by Ian McEwan


Book: The Children Act

Author: Ian McEwan

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: High Court judge, Fiona Maye, presides over family court in London. All is going well until two events collide her life's roles into chaos.

The first involves a seventeen year old Jehovah Witness, Matthew,  who upon hearing he has cancer wants to refuse the treatment the government is forcing upon him.

The second is a husband who demands an open marriage and walks out on Fiona when she won't oblige.

What does the Matthew teach Fiona about life and the the willingness to accept the treatment by those around her?

My rating: 4 Stars

My opinion: Probably my favorite of Ian McEwan's books that I have read. This author is a really hit or miss author to me. Although On Chesil Beach is excellent, there was something quietly powerful to this book. On that note, I would like to have seen a deeper relationship built between the two main characters.

I found this book to be poignant with a deep sadness to it. It was one of those things aren't always as they seem.


Source: Doubleday for review

Would I recommend? : Yes

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment