Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Sound of Music: How a Beguiling Young Novice, A Handsome Austrian Sea Captain and Ten Singing von Trapp Children Inspired the Most Beloved Film of All Time by Tom Santopietro




Book: The Sound of Music: How a Beguiling Young Novice, A Handsome Austrian Sea Captain and Ten Singing von Trapp Children Inspired the Most Beloved Film of All Time

Author: Tom Santopietro

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: In 1965, The Sound of Music hit the big screens. What is the back story to this long held, classic family favorite that remains popular to this day?

My rating: 5 Stars

My opinion:  OK, first a disclosure: I am a HUGE Sound of Music fan. When I say huge, I mean behemoth huge. I have seen this movie well over 200 times in my 47 years on this earth. I own three copies of the DVD. I have scenes from this movie memorized. I have read almost every book put out on this movie and, I believe, all of the von Trapp family books and it is on my bucket list to visit the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, Vermont.

I found Mr. Santopietro's book to be incredibly well researched and beyond detailed oriented. I find it easy to say that of all the books on this subject I have read, Santopietro's is easily the best. The book did have periods of dryness or that seemed to drag in over describing occurances, but those were few and far between and I found that I was able to overlook them with some new things that I had learned.

This book would have been 10/5 stars if photos were included. Especially with this book, couldn't figure out why photos weren't included. I will say that a member of Goodreads did comment on my preliminary review that she had purchased a copy and that there were pictures included in her version.


Source: Publisher for review

Would I recommend? : Not only would I recommend it, I have a copy in my Amazon cart waiting for purchase. Even though I have already read it, I found it worthy to add to my personal library.

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment