Sunday, June 7, 2015

Mourning Lincoln by Martha Hodes




Book: Mourning Lincoln

Author: Martha Hodes

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: We all know that our 16th President, Abraham Lincoln, was assassinated by South sympathizer, John Wilkes Booth, but what was our nation's reaction to this tragedy on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Line?

My rating: 5 Stars

My opinion: As someone who has read several hundred books on Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War, I had always wondered about the reaction to Lincoln's assassination by John Wilkes Booth. The material that I read had never done a deep study of it...until now.

I found this book to be incredibly well developed through the research that this author done. This book is loaded with first person accounts, as well as quotes from both the North and South. The author did an excellent job in not presenting a bias (which is one thing I always look for in the works I review), she had a nice balance of both outrage and support of the assassination. The author managed to accomplish this in a book that flowed well and was inviting to its readers.

While I wouldn't call this book the best book ever written on our 16th President or that period of time in US history, I would state that it is on my top twenty for engagement of readers and the depth and quality of the research.

Source: Netgalley for publisher

Would I recommend? : Already have done so to numerous Lincoln enthusiasts, as well as library acquisitions.

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment