Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Beneath the Shadows by Sara Foster




Book: Beneath the Shadows

Author: Sara Foster

Release date (if applicable): June 5, 2012

Synopsis: Grace's husband, Adam, disappears after he moves her to the isolated moors of Yorkshire. Did he leave her intentionally? Was foul play involved? What do the towns folk have to do with it...or is it all in Grace's mind?

My rating: 4 stars

My opinion: I was a bit nervous about this book. I thought the first 100 pages moved too slowly for my liking and I thought either I wouldn't finish the book or that it would be given a lower rating. Then, BAM it took off and never looked back.

This is absolutely my type of book with the English countryside setting with the strange "towns folk" to boot. This book honestly had so much going on beneath the surface that I thought for sure it was going to turn out another way, so the book was consistently moving for me while I tried to guess the ending.

I agree with a Goodreads reviewer who said the book reminded her much more of Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights than the consistent reference to the Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca.

Source: Netgalley for St. Martin's Press

Would I recommend? : Yep! I would be careful in recommending it though.  This was a true "British" mystery full of gothic atmosphere. There are a lot of readers who state that they like this type of book until they get into it and then it is too dark for them.

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment