Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Wishing Rock Theory of Life: A Novel with Recipes by Pam Stucky




Book: The Wishing Rock Theory of Life: A Novel with Recipes

Author: Pam Stucky

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Written as a series of emails and text messages, life in Wishing Rock has some changes and adaptations coming to it. Who will survive it? How will life on the quaint little island change forever?

My rating: 3.5 Stars. This will be 4 stars on Goodreads and Amazon.

My opinion: I have been racking my brain with trying to put a finger on how I would describe this series and why I enjoyed reviewing it. I have decided this series reminds me of the television show "Seinfeld". You know the quirky cast of characters who discuss basically nothing, but their sarcastic humor and likability sucks you in. So with that said, onto my review.  I am going to go against the tide of reviewers on this one. I actually preferred the first book to the second book. When I read the first book, I kind of liked the light tones with the humor and recipes tucked into the pages. "Theory" had some serious story lines woven into it which kind of threw me off (for example, the bro code or the dissolving of relationships!). Even with this, Stucky was able to maintain the chuckle out loud sarcastic quips, but I did find myself thrown off by some of the serious undertones of the book.

I must say that I enjoyed the recipes in the first book over the second book, as well (come on, Chocolate Oat Bars!!). However, this one has a killer quiche recipe in it that I am dying to try.

Now, this book actually has a higher rating on Goodreads than her first one has, so, as I said, I am going against the tide. I knew what I was expecting from the book will be different than what other readers expect from it. So, as they say in AA...take what you need and leave the rest!

Source: Author Provided

Would I recommend? : Yes, in fact, I have

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Series

Letters from Wishing Rock Book 1

No comments:

Post a Comment