Friday, June 29, 2012

The Gentle Giant of Dynamite Hill: The Untold Story of Arthur Shores and His Family's Fight for Civil Rights by Helen Shores Lee; Barbara Sylvia Shores; Denise George


Book: The Gentle Giant of Dynamite Hill: The Untold Story of Arthur Shores and His Family's Fight for Civil Rights

Author: Helen Shores Lee; Barbara Sylvia Shores; Denise George

Release date (if applicable): September 1, 2012

Synopsis: Arthur Shores, a Civil Rights attorney and Civil Rights leader in the 1950's "era" South. This book, written by his daughters, describes first hand accounts of attacks, including bombings and kidnapping attempts, on the family by the KKK and the despicable acceptance and overlooking by segregationist government leaders.

My rating: Absolutely a very strong 5 star read

My opinion: I have to be totally honest. When I first started this book, I almost put it down and let the publisher know that I would not be reviewing it. The first, approximately, 75 pages of the book were written with such a disconnect and a "just the facts, maam" style that I had to go back and double check that it was written by the daughters. The one daughter is an attorney, so it kind of explained it to me. Most books that I have read written by attorneys have that "concise" manner of writing to them. Push past that because at one point the book opened up and I was not able to put it down. There is still that "feeling" present, but not nearly as much as in the beginning.

This is a period of time that I am starting to read more and more about. I have read hundreds of books on Abraham Lincoln, the Civil War and slavery, but am probably at about 35 books on the Civil Rights "era". This by far one of the best book I have read to date. The authors were able to put "tid bits" of history into story,  written in a manner in which I truly felt like I was there, that I have not seen in other books that I have only seen in one other book.

Furthermore, after the initial pages, this book was so emotionally engrossing that by the epilogue written by daughter, Barbara Sylvia Shores, I was tearing up with how the love, gratitude and influence of her father simply flowed from the pages.

The greatest line from the book:

"You shouldn't hold onto hate because it will eventually destroy YOU!" Arthur Shores (as told to Barbara Sylvia Shores)

Source: Netgalley

Would I recommend? : Absolutely!

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment