Thursday, June 27, 2013

All The Light There Was by Nancy Kricorian





Book: All The Light There Was 
 
Author: Nancy Kricorian
 
Narrator (if applicable): n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: 1940's Nazi occupied France, Fourteen year old, Armenian Maral is anything but your typical teenager. She and her family are struggling through another genocide that they know well with as much normalcy as they can muster.  When the Nazis come knocking for someone close to Maral, she knows life will never be the same.
 
My rating: 4 Stars
 
My opinion: This book was amazing. So intelligently written, it reminded me of the works of Chris Bohjalian. There was nothing sticky sweet about this book. It was an incredible raw look at life in France and the daily impact of trying to survive a movement that doesn't want you to survive. This book was intense and powerful when one thinks about the reality of Maral's situation.

Why the 4 stars instead of 5? There was some dryness to the writing that made me get lost periodically. It wasn't horrible, but it was present.
 
Source:  Library
      
Would I recommend? : Very much so. I loved this book so much that I invited the author to become an author member of Sisterhood of the Traveling Book.
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment