Monday, July 8, 2013

A White Room by Stephanie Carroll



Book: A White Room
 
Author: Stephanie Carroll
 
Narrator (if applicable): n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: It is the beginning of the 20th century and upon the death of her father, Emeline Evans, who dreamed of becoming a nurse is forced into a loveless marriage to attorney John Dorr for appearance sake and to help support her family. John then moves her to rural Missouri, where her family is far and appropriate healthcare for residents is even farther. Utilizing some of her training as a nurse, Emeline sets to help where she can, but John's client doesn't like unlicensed practitioners and John doesn't like a disobedient, inquisitive wife.

When Emeline starts displaying signs of "feminine hysteria" those around her start worrying about her. Is it really hysteria though...or is something much more sinister happening?

My rating: 4.5 Stars
 
My opinion: What a debut this novel was! Combined with some great writing, the story laid out with a level of tension that kept me on the edge of my seat. 

I kept having flashbacks to the great movie of the 1940's called Gaslight that starred Ingrid Bergman and Joseph Cotten. In Gaslight, one could not determine what was real and what was imagined until the stunning conclusion. This book went down the same path. 

Ms. Carroll's novel is the epitome of why I love Indie and debut authors. If this is a start, I can't wait to see what else comes up for this dynamic author. 

Source: Netgalley for Smith Publishing

Would I recommend? : I thought this book was so good that I approached the author about being an author member for Sisterhood of the Traveling Book. 
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment