Monday, September 30, 2013

Margot: A Novel by Jillian Cantor





Book: Margot: A Novel
 
Author: Jillian Cantor
 
Narrator (if applicable): n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Margie Franklin, a law secretary, living in the Philly area has a secret that she has been very good at keeping. Margie Franklin is really Margot Frank, who escaped the Nazis instead of being sent to a concentration camp with her family, and relocated to the United States 15 years ago. UNTIL the story of her sister's diary is released and hits the movie theaters. Margot knows that she must come to terms with not only her past, but her present and future that she has been able to avoid in protecting her past. 
  
My rating: 5 Stars
 
My opinion: OMG...I loved this book! 

Normally, I am not a fan of fictional revisionist history. The majority of them I have read, there was NO WAY that the story EVER could have happened and I found myself constantly rolling my eyes, but this one worked. One could see this happening. There was nothing over the top about the story that the author portrays. I wholeheartedly disagree with a couple of Goodreads reviewers who call this book light and chicklit"ish". There was nothing about that in regards to this book.  In my opinion, it was really focused with a woman who was "comfortable" hiding in the shadows of who she really was and suddenly has to change this and come to terms when things she though true were found to be untrue.
 

I had some questions throughout the reading that the author wrapped up beautifully in the epilogue. So be sure to read the epilogue.
 

To boot, this book has some great writing. The book sucked me in immediately and I had to force myself to put it aside for the most part. I enjoyed this book so much that I approached the author to join Sisterhood of the Traveling Book as an author member and was thrilled when she accepted. I can see why this book is on so many lists. 
 
Source: Riverhead Trade
       
Would I recommend? : See above and I have already to numerous people outside STB.
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment