Thursday, September 20, 2012

Spare Change by Bette Lee Crosby



 

I have a special treat for the readers of A Book and A Review. Bette Lee Crosby is a WONDERFUL Indie author who I am now privileged to call my friend. Spare Change was my first read of her novels. At this point, because of the quality of her writing, I have read every book of hers. She is offering Spare Change for free today (9/20) and tomorrow (9/21). Don't miss your chance to introduce yourself to this wonderful author by grabbing Spare Change for free and come back tomorrow for an interview with this dynamic woman.


Book: Spare Change

Author: Bette Lee Crosby

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Olivia Westerly, a superstitious woman of a certain age who never wanted children and was unapologetic about it, is widowed on her honeymoon. Trying to mend her broken heart, she finds herself the sudden guardian of her deceased husband's grandson whose daughter-in-law was murdered. Reluctantly she takes him in, but he ends up taking her heart.  Now, as the only witness to his mother's death, her killer is looking to make sure Ethan never tells anyone else. Can Olivia keep Ethan safe?

My rating: 5 Stars

My opinion: I am not giving this book 5 stars for the longevity of the book or its' ability to become a classic, but for the author's ability to write characters who will absolutely melt your heart and elicit sympathy from the reader. I find that to be a rare ability in the majority of the books I read and this author truly does have that capability. I absolutely fell in love with the little boy in this book, Ethan Allen, and, as a mother, wanted to wrap my arms around him. As I sat down to read this, I found myself pushing away other books that were slotted to be finished to continue on with this book and that is always the sign of a winner to me. I ended up reading this in one day (actually a couple of hours) once it was started. That is not odd, but my engrossment with a book is. This book was recommended to me and usually that doesn't always work out...with this one the recommender was dead on!! Furthermore, it is a book I will recommend as well!

Source: Sisterhood of Traveling Book

Would I recommend? : Yes and I already have.

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

 

No comments:

Post a Comment