Monday, November 25, 2013

Hell Gate by Elizabeth Massie





Book: Hell Gate 
 
Author: Elizabeth Massie
 
Narrator (if applicable): N/A

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Coney Island ticket seller, Suzanne Heath, has some secrets. First, she ran away with a male patient, Cittie Parker, from the Colored Waif's Asylum. Although they are only best friends, it was still taboo in 1900 New York. Second, she witnessed the murder of a classmate of hers while she was a student at a boarding school. Her biggest secret though is that she is psychic and visions flood her. 

When a serial killer starts making rounds, she must come to terms with all three when she starts to see the killings and her past comes back to haunt her. 
  
My rating: 3 Stars
 
My opinion: While I must admit that I enjoyed this read, I thought the writing was a bit too melodramatic for my liking and what I normally get from this publisher.  This was supplemented by the overdramatization yet underdevelopment of the characters.

On that note, I definitely preferred the current story (1909) to that of the past. It seemed as though the author was able to tamper some of those issues in the current story and ramped it up in the book that was set in the past. 

Source:   DarkFuse
     
Would I recommend? : Yes, it was a pretty nifty read!
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment