Thursday, February 13, 2014

Just One Evil Act (Inspector Lynley #18) by Elizabeth George




 


Book: Just One Evil Act (Inspector Lynley #18)

Author: Elizabeth George
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Lynley and Havers are back when Haddiyyah Upman, Haver's little friend, disappears after her mother takes her to Italy. Who is behind the kidnapping of the youngster and can Lynley and Havers get her back before it is too late?
 
My rating: 1 Star
 
My opinion: I love Elizabeth George's writing. I have read almost every work by this author with the exception of her young adult series. I have noticed a deterioration in the past several Lynley mysteries and to be totally honest, had thought that this series was being wrapped up numerous books ago. When I saw a new one come out, I would jump at the chance to read it. 

I found myself rather disgusted by this novel though. Have Ms. George's books always been intelligently written? Yes, I think this is why I enjoy them so much. This one went overboard, in my humble opinion. I had a feeling that it was "written down" to its readers and almost had a feeling of elitism, which I have to tell you, really irritated me. I understand that the book was primarily set in Italy and some of this "education" of culture and language needed to occur, but really felt Ms. George went overboard.  

Sadly, I must state this will be my last Lynley book. I think there comes a time in every series when it has run its course. In my opinion, this happened with Lynley several books ago. I am not sure if Ms. George chose to write another this book because of name/series recognition instead of starting a new series. On that note, if Ms. George writes another series, I will be first in line to read it. 
 
Source: Publisher for review
       
Would I recommend? : No
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: #18 in the series

No comments:

Post a Comment