Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Amity and Sorrow by Peggy Riley





Book: Amity and Sorrow
 
Author: Peggy Riley
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Amaranth and her daughters, Amity and Sorrow, are fleeing their polygamous life, when their car crashes in Oklahoma. A widower, farmer Bradley is glad to assist the women, but that is where it ends. Can the girls, particularly Sorrow, adjust to a life they never knew or will one of them contact their father with their location to return them to a polygamous cult life and the secrets they carry? Can Amaranth and Bradley help to heal each other? 
 
My rating: 3 Stars
 
My opinion:  Although I had liked the general story of this book, I couldn't get past the writing style of this author. Although I do feel it was intentional to fit the storyline, I really couldn't get used to it. There was just something off to it that I can't at this immediate time put my finger on. Now, I have to admit that I have Goodreads friends who loved the writing style which was present in this book. 

On a side note: Although I was approved for this title by Little Brown and Company, I found that I enjoyed the print version better. I started it on my ereader, but finished it with a library copy.  I must admit that I didn't have as hard of a time with the writing style in the print version as I did in the ereader version.
 
Source:  Netgalley for Little Brown and Company
      
Would I recommend? : Yes, if necessary, focus adjusting to the writing style. It really is a pretty cool read. 
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand alone

No comments:

Post a Comment