Saturday, July 6, 2013

Bristol House: A Novel by Beverly Swerling






Book: Bristol House: A Novel 
 
Author: Beverly Swerling
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Modern day London, Annie Kendall, architectural history and recovering alcoholic, is hoping to get to the bottom of some missing historical Judacia pieces. Her quest captures the attention of the handsome, investigative reporter, Geoff Harris, much to the dismay of the organization sponsoring her quest. To make matters worse, Annie starts to see the ghost of a monk, Dom Justin, dead since the 1500's. To make matters even "worser" than worse, this ghost...is the spitting image of Geoff. What story does Dom Justin have to tell and why does he look like her love interest?
 
My rating: 3.5 Stars
 
My opinion: This story is told from two different perspectives (Annie and Dom Justin) in two different periods of time. I loved that, but must admit that I did love Dom Justin's story and felt it was more engaging than Annie's story. 

On that note, in reading the book's description, this type of book is right up my alley. I expected the book to grab me by the throat and not let go. It didn't. I found myself putting it down a lot because there were aspects to it that just dragged on. In my humble opinion, particularly in the modern part of the book, there were aspects that almost had a cliche feeling to them or was just downright predictable.
 
Source: Library
      
Would I recommend? : Yes, I would. The book was still a fun, intelligent ride.
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment