Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Creating Room to Read: A Story of Hope in the Battle for Global Literacy by John Wood






Book: Creating Room to Read: A Story of Hope in the Battle for Global Literacy
 
Author: John Wood
 
Release date (if applicable): February 7, 2013

Synopsis: John Wood left a lucrative marketing executive job with Microsoft to start Room to Read, a global literacy program that has expanded to providing educational services to some of the poorest children in the world. Mr. Wood achieved the business goals he had established for this organization within the time frame he had set. Creating Room to Read discusses the organization's next areas of expansion and service lines it will be expanding into, including a publishing company for children's books in the native languages (a rarity) of those countries his organization services.
 
My rating: I wish my rating went higher than 5 stars because this book would certainly qualify for it. 
 
My opinion: I normally try to keep my blog for reviewing fictional work. Periodically, Non-fiction books will pop up that I want to read/review for personal reasons. Creating Room to Read is one of those books. I first became familiar with Room to Read and its' spectacular mission in the PBS series Half the Sky . Being an strong advocate not only for the mission of literacy and libraries, but for the empowerment and enrichment of young women as a way to improve their standards of living which is obtained through education, I am a firm believer in EVERYTHING that Room to Read stands for. Although services provided by Room to Read aren't limited to young females in the services it provides, this is what I had wanted to learn more about and I did.

In 2013, I made the decision to do a Blog to Give for both of my blogs. Room to Read was one of the organizations I had been considering to place "on the roster" for my food blog, so I was shocked when I saw this book show up on Edelweiss. I immediately requested it to know more about Mr. Wood's selfless work. This book delivered that information and more in a very down to earth, heart-warming and approachable manner. I read this book very quickly because I was entranced by this man utilizing his extensive business background to bring literacy to those who are in most need of it. 

Source:   Edelweiss for Viking Adult
 
Would I recommend? : This book is such an uplifting, poignant story that I can think of many, many reasons why to read this book. I have already been recommending it. Thank you to Viking for allowing me to review this book. This is an organization I will be proud to donate to.
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand alone


No comments:

Post a Comment