Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Heart Like Mine by Amy Hatvany






Book: Heart Like Mine
 
Author: Amy Hatvany
 
Release date (if applicable): March 19, 2013

Synopsis: Grace McCallister never wanted to be a mother and was perfectly happy with that lifestyle choice. When she meets Victor Hansen, divorced father of two children, she thinks that she can handle being a part-time mother and is thrilled when they become engaged to be married. Then, Victor's ex-wife Kelli dies under suspicious circumstances. Suddenly, Grace is thrown into full-time mother status with 2 grieving children who only wanted their parents to reunite and, now, simply want to know why their mother has died.
 
My rating: 5 Stars
 
My opinion: I must admit that I became a huge fan of Amy Hatvany after reading her powerful novel Best Kept Secrets. Ms. Hatvany has a real talent for getting into the minds of her characters and offering her readers a voyeuristic view into their challenges and pains. This is clearly evident in Heart Like Mine.  On that note, I must state that her story paths are pretty clear. Don't be expecting mysteries or gotchya moments.  Do be expecting gut wrenching incidents or choices that lead to the characters growth or their demise. I have yet to walk away from the last three novels from Ms. Hatvany where I haven't been holding my breath or been deeply invested in the main character.

This book is told in first person point of view from 3 different characters which I tended to find annoying, but I was able to get through it with paying very close attention to who was "speaking".

On a side note, I have seen Ms. Hatvany compared to several contemporary women's fiction writers, particularly one in particular that irks me every time I see it. I find this to be incredibly unfair to Ms. Hatvany.  Not a single one of her books is formulaic in its' presentation nor has she come in with any sort of agenda in writing them. 
 
Source:   I was priviledged to be allowed to review this book for Washington Square Press through Netgalley. 

Would I recommend? : For the most part, I always recommend her books. 
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment