Monday, January 28, 2013

The Death of Bees by Lisa O'Donnell






Book: The Death of Bees
 
Author: Lisa O'Donnell
 
Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Nelly and Marnie's parents have died. Being the text book definition of a dysfunctional family, the girls really don't care though. They just don't want to be sent to live in foster care and will do anything to prevent that, including burying their parents in the backyard. A sex offender neighbor catches on and tries to protect the girls from DHS, even when a grandfather with his own motives steps in to care for the girls. 
 
My rating: 1 Star
 
My opinion: I had such promise for this book that opened so strongly. Sadly, it fell apart pretty quickly. It is very, very rare that I have nothing good to say about a book. In fact, I think the last time was about 2 years ago.

First, I felt the author had jumped from crisis to crisis rather than developing a strong storyline. This came off as being rather choppy in its presentation. Almost as though she made it up as she went along versus outlining the story and knowing it going in. Although, this is a story about family dysfunction and children left in their parents' poor decision making wake, it just felt very discombobulated to me.

Unfortunately, to boot, this story is told from 3 different points of views told in first person voices. This continues to bury the story as to what exactly is occurring.
 
Source: Library      
 
Would I recommend? : Sadly, No
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment