Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier





Book: The Last Runaway
 
Author: Tracy Chevalier
 
Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: In 1850, Honor Bright, a Quaker, leaves the comfort of her home in England to accompany her sister, Grace, when she comes to America to marry her fiancee. America is in the grips of the yellow fever and the fight of slavery, including the Underground Railroad. When Grace dies of yellow fever soon after arriving in the United States and leaves Honor stranded. When she arrives in Ohio and marries Jack Hayworth, she is introduced to runaway slaves and the underground railroad. Her husband and his family demand that Honor not harbor the runaway slaves, but she knows what is right and continues to do so against their wishes. When Jack forces the idea, how will Honor respond? Will she obey her husband and defy her morals?

 
My rating: 3.5/5 Stars
 
My opinion: I became a stalker fan of Tracy Chevalier after reading her novel Remarkable Creatures. I started the novel at 10pm as something to read before going to bed and ended up not falling asleep until 2am AFTER I finished the book. The characters and storyline she wrote were so engrossing I could feel every part of the book. I also felt that I learned something after finishing the novel.

While The Last Runaway was good, I didn't feel the same way. I didn't have that "can't put it down feeling". Furthermore, I thought too much focus was put on Honor's story, particularly the sewing and quilting, versus the Underground Railroad. Now, maybe I missed something.

Don't get me wrong. This book had Ms. Chevalier's classic quality of writing, but the "emotional" aspect was definitely missing for me.

 
Source: Edelweiss for publisher     

Would I recommend? : Yes, but don't forget Remarkable Creatures.
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment