Thursday, May 3, 2012

Depraved Heart: A Novel by Kathleen Valentine




Book: Depraved Heart: A Novel

Author: Kathleen Valentine

Release date (if applicable): Released

Synopsis: Tempest Hobbs, recently released from a psychiatric institute, is called to Hathor, the estate of the Ravencroft family, which is located on the island of Hepzibah Regrets, just off the coast in Massachusetts. Her job is to catalog the art collection of the manor, which was just inherited by the Anjelica, the granddaughter of Wyatt Ravencroft the patriarch of the Ravencroft family, who has recently passed on.  Also at the estate is Syd Jupiter, former NFL player, handsome as all get out, father of Anjelica and husband to Wyatt's daughter, Rachel. Oh, and by the way, recently paroled from prison after being convicted for the shooting of Rachel's twin brother, Raven.  But did he do it and if he didn't, who did??

Told through flashbacks between the present and the past, the story unfolds as to what secrets led up to that fateful night and what did the only witness to the crime see.

My rating: 5 stars

My opinion: If you haven't read a Kathleen Valentine book, you are really missing out. Kathleen is one of my favorite authors due to her ability to write deep, intricate novels and short stories that elicit emotions that run the gamut of feelings. I have read books of hers that I was crying tears of heartache that suddenly went to tears of joy!

I must say that Kathleen Valentine is one of those authors who are classic examples on why I love and very frequently seek out Indie authors over the big house publisher authors. I truly feel that Kathleen's writing is above the cookie cutter writers that you see in big house publishing houses.

This book was no exception. Kathleen's character and setting development is so strong that frequently I have to map them out and how they interact with one another. This is a real talent to be able to do this. Not many authors can accomplish that level of character development. Also, in the majority of Kathleen's books, as well as this one, she has the ability to write with a darkness that is below the surface, yet can keep the storyline light, so it isn't necessarily depressing and characters are "approachable". I loved this book, also, because of the mystery component that was visible, but not quite visible. I was kind of surprised with this one because of the level of romance that was in this book compared to her other books.

I do this lightly (because I abhor when people do it flippantly), but this book almost had the feel of Du Maurier's Rebecca with a bit more sexual spiciness to it.

Would I recommend? : Really, I need to answer this?? Um yeah I would recommend this!

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone


No comments:

Post a Comment