Friday, June 29, 2012

Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle by The Countess of Carnarvon



Book: Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle

Author: The Countess of Carnarvon

Release date (if applicable): Released

Synopsis: The Countess of Carnarvon tells the true story of the life of Lady Almina and that of Highclere Castle, which is the setting for Masterpiece Theatre(PBS)'s hit show "Downton Abbey". Lady Almina's experiences include opening Highclere as a WWI hospital, travels to Egypt with her husband and his partner, Howard Carter, for the opening of King Tut's tomb.

My rating: 3 Stars

My opinion: I have to be honest in that I expected a bit more "warmth" to this book. For this book being written by a relative, granted a "by marriage" relative, of Lady Almina, I felt there was almost a disconnect by the author.

On that note, I loved the indepth look at the aristocracy druing that period of time. I found myself frequently shaking my head and chuckling, really to the arrogance and "oppulance" of those in that class during the period of time in which this book was written and the apparent "acceptance" by the author like it was on the same level as breathing and eating.  As a result, I found the book entertaining yet annoying at the same time.

My favorite part of the book had to have been the author's depictions of not only Lady Almina opening the castle as a hospital, but particularly, her husband's travels and work with Howard Carter. Being a huge King Tut "fan", this was just another piece in the history of his life.

Source: Library

Would I recommend? : Yes, it was still an interesting read. To be honest though, if it didn't have the "King Tut" aspect to it, this would have been a 2 star read for me and a "no recommendation".

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment