Monday, June 11, 2012

Shelter by Frances Greenslade





Book: Shelter

Author: Frances Greenslade

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Jenny and Maggie live a sheltered, rustic life with their parents in 1970's Oregon. Tragedy strikes when their father is killed in a logging accident and their mother disappears after taking a cooking job in a logging camp. The girls are forced to live with a neighbor. How will this effect them? Why did their mother disappear. Was it by her own choice or something more sinister?

My rating: 4 stars

My opinion: I enjoyed this book and finished it in one sitting. The book was engrossing, on many fronts, almost as though I was reading a psychological, study, as I watched these girls grow up and be changed by the incidents in their lives.  I thought that the author's depiction of the girls was phenomenal as these were girls I grew fond of reading them in the pages. There was an innocence to them that was overshadowed by desperate moves, yet never truly losing their connection to one another even with the tragic losses in their lives. The mystery of the mother's disappearance permeated the book, although it wasn't the central theme to the book. Why would a mother abandon her girls who already had lost their father in such a tragic incident?

Source: Library

Would I recommend? : Yes, it was a unique read

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand alone

No comments:

Post a Comment