Friday, April 26, 2013

The Percussionist's Wife by Monica Lee





Book:  The Percussionist's Wife: A Memoir of Sex Crime and Betrayal
 
Author: Monica Lee
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Monica Lee's first husband was accused and convicted of raping a teenage student, but it didn't stop with that action. This is Ms. Lee's story of that period time. 
 
My rating: A very generous 2 stars
 
My opinion: I must admit that I had a very difficult time reading and reviewing this book for multiple reasons as a result it took me forever to get through it. It was a memoir...I get it. However, I have met this author. She is clearly an intelligent, insightful woman. However, I must disagree with other reviewers who have stated that she was self-blaming. I read that everyone else, including religion, being blamed for the occurrences in her life,even those instigated by herself. I don't think this is intentional, but I don't think it can't be dismissed simply for being too "naive" as mentioned by one reviewer.

Normally I enjoy true crime, which is another genre that this book could technically be classified under. This book was sad to me, but not sad for the reasons that readers would feel sadness for. It seemed to me that the author simply bypassed the fact that there were teenage victims in this mix (not to mention other victims of this duo) and simply focused on her own pain and victimization. There were moments that I truly felt myself feeling ill reading this book.
 
Source: Author for review
        
Would I recommend? : No. I can tell you that there will be an audience that eats this stuff up though. However, I couldn't walk away from this book without feeling like I needed a shower.
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand alone

No comments:

Post a Comment