Friday, September 21, 2012

So Far Away: A Novel by Meg Mitchell Moore



Book: So Far Away: A Novel

Author: Meg Mitchell Moore

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Bullied 13 year old Natalie Gallagher, whose father is passing her over for his new love and mother suffers from depression. Natalie comes across the diary of a Bridget O' Connell, maid who came to the US from Ireland in the 1920's and has secrets of her own in her basement and seeks out the assistance of librarian, Kathleen Lynch, who has her own set of secrets. How can Bridget help these two lost souls survive their secrets and make it through the rain when she died a generation ago.  

My rating: 3.5 Stars

My opinion: Although I loved the storyline of this book, the writing left me periodically cold and thought it came off as distant. Furthermore, I thought the chunk of this book, maybe because of the actions of a bunch of 13 year olds really came off as a YA book versus adult literature. I had a hard time separating the two. I also thought that through out the book, incidents wrapped up with nice neat red bows, which I can't go into without heading into spoilerland.

I think this book could be readable by a Young Adult audience, as well as an adult audience who is a bit more tolerant of a "simplistic" writing. Make note, I am not saying bad writing...I am saying simplistic or lighter reading.

I must say that I enjoyed this book much more than the last book I read by the author, although I did give it the same rating.

Source: Library

Would I recommend? : Yes

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

 

No comments:

Post a Comment