Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Reverend by Christamar Varicella

 



Book: The Reverend

Author: Christamar Varicella

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: A serial killer is loose in the town of Alexander City, Alabama. A serial killer whose killings share the same MO with killings from the 1970's that a Voodoo loving Reverend was suspected of and murdered for. Did the Voodoo Reverend come back from the dead to complete his deed? Was the Reverend guilty in the first place? Or...is there a copy cat looking to take over for The Reverend?

My rating: 3.5 Stars

My opinion: The base story of The Reverend was simply fascinating. I loved the fact that it was based off a true story, which proves that sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. However, I found the writing of the novel to be dragging at times,somewhat distant and "clinical" that one could find in a non-fiction, true crime novel.  Furthermore, I agree with another reviewer who stated that she felt the book wrapped up too abruptly. I found myself simply left hanging.

Be sure not to miss the author's after notes that give fascinating insight into the history that this book is based off of.

Source: Author for Review

Would I recommend? : The jury is still out on that one for me. The story was rockin', but the writing periodically left me a bit chilled.

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

 

No comments:

Post a Comment