Monday, September 24, 2012

The Empty Glass: A Novel by J.I. Baker


Book: The Empty Glass: A Novel

Author: J.I. Baker

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Deputy Coroner, Ben Fitzgerald is called to the scene of a suicide. When he gets to the scene, it is the suicide of Marilyn Monroe and things aren't lining up that it is a suicide and, although, everyone in law enforcement writes it off as suicide, he can't. On his own, he investigates her death, but are there are people out there who don't want the truth dug up and will do whatever they need to do prevent it from happening? Is Ben trying to make a murder out of a suicide? Will Ben solve the mystery of Marilyn's death or become a victim of dark forces, as well?

My rating: 4 Stars

My opinion: I love when I find a book that I can't put down and that intrigues me as to its' path. This book was constant in doing this. The storyline was excellently crafted in that how it was laid out and "playing" with the readers mind as to what was real and what was "fantasy" or imagination in the main character's head.  

I do have to be honest and say that one of the things that drove me crazy about this book was the first person perspective it was told from. I found it to be distracting and often difficult to follow. As I processed my review after completing the novel, it dawned on me that I couldn't rule out that this was the author's intentions. It had the feel of the 1950's and 1960's detective movies with the gruff speaking detectives who "told a story".

One side note that kind of drove me crazy was that the author talked about the shooting of Lana Turner's boyfriend by her daughter. Problem was that it was a stabbing and not a shooting. I also couldn't figure out the who and why it was important to the story. There were quite a few issues like that, but this one really stood out to me and almost a Hollywood name dropping.

Source: Netgalley for Publisher

Would I recommend? : Yes

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

 

No comments:

Post a Comment