Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Sunday Dinners: Our Favorite Pastors Bring Together Family, Food and Faith to the Table by Diane Cowen






Book: Sunday Dinners: Our Favorite Pastors Bring Together Family, Food and Faith to the Table
 
Author: Diane Cowen
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): September 10, 2013

Synopsis: A collection of our favorite ministers' Sunday dinners complete with bios, blessings and inspiring stories. 

Recipes include such tasty morsels as:
  • Country Fried Pork Chops (T.D. Jakes)
  • Baking Powder Biscuits (T.D. Jakes)
  • Senator Russell's Sweet Potatoes (Joel Olsteen)
  • Texas Fudge Cake (Joel Olsteen)
  • Goi Cuon: Fresh Shrimp and Spring Rolls (Martin Lam Nguyen)
  • Strawberry Cake (Rev. Mike Glenn)
  • Arroz con Gandules (Rice with Pigeon Peas) (Pastors Samuel and Eva Rodriguez)
  • Pernil (Roast Pork) (Pastors Samuel and Eva Rodriguez)

 
My rating: 4 Stars
 
My opinion: What a fun and unusual cookbook this was! It focused on meal planning from top ministers in the US, such as Joel Olsteen and T.D. Jakes. I think what was most unique was that it focused on a variety of ethnic foods that had more substance to them. Although I walked away with many new recipes, my favorites were from Pastors Samuel and Eva Rodriguez with their Mexican flair and Bishop T.D. Jakes with its good old fashioned Southern cooking! Recipes were incredible simple and, in my opinion, the most novice chef could probably do a spectacular job!

I gave this 4 stars because I thought there was too much focus on the bio part of the ministers versus recipes. I would have like to have seen more recipes. 
 
Source: Andrews McMeel Publishing      
 
Would I recommend? : Oh yeah, this one is teetering on being in my Amazon cart. That is how much I enjoyed it. 
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

1 comment:

  1. Naomi,
    Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm glad you liked my cookbook and the recipes you mention are terrific. Be sure to try the Rodriguezes' rice and peas and their roast pork ... oh, and their flan is to die for!
    -Diane Cowen

    ReplyDelete