Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Grind by Mark Maynard






Book: Grind
 
Author: Mark Maynard
 
Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: A collection of short stories that focus on the seedier and more twisted side of Reno. 
 
My rating: 4 stars but dang near close to 5.
 
My opinion: I love that one book reviewer called this a "world that the Nevada Board of Tourism would rather you not see" because they were DEAD ON in their review. Come on, the cover of the book, which depicts a metal fold up chair shot up in the cracked desert earth, says it all. 

These short stories were twisted in their depiction of life and that everything isn't squeaky clean or wraps up with a nice red ribbon all the time, which, let's face it, is reality. Furthermore, I simply loved the imagery of these stories. The authors abilities to bring out the darkness and desperation of the characters and their situations really kept my focus on the stories. I seek out twisted and quirky stories and this book fed right into my passion for that type of book.

The reason I didn't give this 5 stars is that I did feel that the author could have been tighter in some of his stories or that I felt like I was left hanging, but not intentionally. I read another book of short stories by the same publisher and I could definitely see the difference. 
 
Source: Torrey House Publishing
      
Would I recommend? : Man, yes...even if you don't live in the Reno, NV area.
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment