Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The End of the Point: A Novel by Elizabeth Graver





Book: The End of the Point: A Novel
 
Author: Elizabeth Graver
 
Release date (if applicable): March 5, 2013

Synopsis: A family saga focusing on the multiple generations of the wealthy Porter family spanning approximately 50 years, from 1942-1999, and how their lives are continually impacted by their summer place in Ashaunt Point in Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts, even when the act of living takes them elsewhere. 
 
My rating: 2 Stars
 
My opinion: I felt this book started off incredibly strong, but rapidly dropped off following the period of WWII. I could never quite get into this book or grasp what this book was about after this period of time and felt that the author tried to cram too much of a storyline/periods of time into too short of a book.  Because of this, I couldn't connect with any of the characters past 1942 either. My recommendation would have been to either make the book longer and expand on it a bit or to focus on one period of time and keep it the same length. I was sort of reminded of the movie "Meet Me in St. Louis" without the endearing storyline/characters.

If push came to shove, I would have to admit that the description for the book on Goodreads is not what I walked away with. 
 
Source: Edelweiss for Publisher   
    
Would I recommend? : No
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment