Wednesday, March 13, 2013

It Happened at the Fair by DeeAnne Gist





Book: It Happened at the Fair
 
Author: DeeAnne Gist
 
Release date (if applicable): April 9, 2013

Synopsis: Engaged farmer, Cullen McNamara, heads to the Chicago World's Fair in 1893 to market a new fire sprinkler system he has invented and risked everything for, including the family farm, to bring it to market. Due to the noise, he has a difficult time working with buyers so he solicits the assistance of deaf teacher, Della Wentworth to teach him the art of lip reading. 

Sparks inadvertently fly for the young couple and love is in the air, but what about Cullen's other betrothed, especially when she shows up at the fair? Will Cullen save the family farm with his new invention or will it flop at a very busy fair? 
 
My rating: 3.5 Stars
 
My opinion: DeeAnne Gist's works simply make my heart smile. I am slowly making my way through all of her works and have yet not simply had a smile on my face while reading them. The same thing happened with It Happened at the Fair, but not as much as some of her previous works. I found that I didn't connect to the story as much as I have in the past. On that note, I must admit that the first day I read it, I read half the book in one sitting and didn't realize I had. Unfortunately after than, it kind of dropped off for me and I thought the story had a rushed feeling to it.

What I absolutely loved about this piece from Ms. Gist's was the inclusion of pictures from the World's Fair. I thought that was absolutely fascinating. It brought so much realism to it that  I felt as though it was a piece of non-fiction that she was writing about! 

Now I have a confession to make. I am not a fan of Christian literature that comes off as preachy. In fact, I tend to rip those books apart. What I love about Ms. Gist's writing is that there is absolutely NO preaching to them. Just great CLEAN storylines with lovely, approachable characters. 
 
Source: Edelweiss for Howard Books   
     
Would I recommend? : I always recommend her books. This one is no different.
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment