Thursday, March 21, 2013

Reconstructing Amelia: A Novel by Kimberly McCreight




Book: Reconstructing Amelia: A Novel
 
Author: Kimberly McCreight
 
Release date (if applicable): April 2, 2013

Synopsis: Do you know what your kids are doing when you are not looking? Single mother and lawyer Kate Baron finds she must look into it when her perfect daughter commits suicide by jumping off the roof of her school. Was it really suicide though? As Kate investigates Amelia's involvement with friends and bullies, she finds the answer might not be that easy and that her daughter might not be as perfect as she thought. 
 
My rating: 3.5 Stars
 
My opinion: I must admit that I had a hard time with this book. It is told in 2 person point of view-Kate and Amelia, which didn't bother me. Where I did have a harder time, yet I think the author did a spectacular job in writing from a 15 year old's POV/language, but I must be honest to say that I had a really difficult time with it and frequently wondered if I was reading a Young Adult versus an adult novel. 

Furthermore, I felt the author really revealed key aspects of the mystery masterfully. Although there were aspects of the story I had guessed, I didn't determine the who/why and I found that to be enjoyable. 
 
Source:   Edelweiss for Harper Books
     
Would I recommend? : Yes, it was a quick and easy read. Although I am not into "boarding/private school" stories as much as some of my Goodreads friends, I found that it was one of the better ones that I have read. 
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment