Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Freud's Sister: A Novel by Goce Smilevski


Book: Freud's Sister: A Novel

Author: Goce Smilevski

Release date (if applicable): August 28, 2012

Synopsis: Sigmund Freud, at the height of WWII and Nazi occupation in Austria, leaves his 4 sisters at the mercy of the Nazis instead of giving them exit visas to leave the country, although he could have. Freud's Sister takes a fictional look at the upbringing of the Freud clan which would lead to such a tragic end.

My rating: 2 Stars

My opinion: I didn't give this book two stars for the underlying storyline which I found fascinating. I have never been a fan of Freud so this story explained the source of much of his thought and ego. I gave the book two stars for its' writing. When the book first started off, I was entranced with the story. It sucked me in immediately. After about 100 pages though, the writing started jumping around and it lost my interest because I couldn't figure out what path the writer was heading down. It just seemed that as the writer was writing the surface story about the earlier years of the Freud siblings, it became much more discombobulated, and thus, couldn't keep my interest.

Source: Netgalley for publisher       

Would I recommend? : No

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment