Friday, January 24, 2014

A Bride For Keeps (Unexpected Brides #1) by Melissa Jaegers



Book: A Bride For Keeps (Unexpected Brides #1)
 
Author: Melissa Jaegers
 
Narrator (if applicable): n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Farmer Everett Kline can't keep up with his homestead. Although, he has tried three mail order brides in the past, all of whom rejected him before the marriage, plus, a fiance of his own, he figures he is done. His well meaning neighbor goes behind his back and accepts the offer of Julie Lockwood, who is desperate to escape her father and her former fiance, both of whom have never seen her as anything but a pawn. 

Skittish from her treatment of men, can Julie open up to Everett? Can he get over his skepticism of the beautiful, refined Julie accepting him as a spouse? 
 
My rating: 4 Stars
 
My opinion: OK, gotta say...Was this book predictable? Yes. Have I read this book in numerous other storylines? Yep! Could you map the story? Yeah, you could. Did it stop me from loving me this book? Absolutely not!

Ms. Jaegers wove a wonderful, engrossing, heartwarming story that left the reader cheering for the main characters.  I ended up reading it in one sitting.  While this was Christian historical fiction, the book wasn't over weighted down with scripture or a preaching feeling. I absolutely love that in Christian fiction.

I loved another reviewer's comparison to Jeanette Oke's "Love Comes Softly" which is one of my favorite Christian books. I thought that review was relatively dead on.
 
Source:  Publisher for review
      
Would I recommend? : Yes, it was a sweet read. I will probably read more in the series
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: First in series

No comments:

Post a Comment