Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo





Book: The Ghost Bride
 
Author: Yangsze Choo
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: In the early 1900's Malaya, Li Lan, the daughter of a poor banker, is offered a chance to get out of poverty by becoming a ghost bride to the son of a wealthy family, the Lim family. While the palace is opulent, there is something mysterious about it. This only becomes worse when the ghost of her would-be husband visits her telling her that his death was nothing natural. 

With such mystery behind his death, who would have benefit from his death? Is it his new heir, who Li Lan is attracted to? Could it be someone even more sinister?  Li Lan feels that she must get to the bottom to find piece not only for herself, but a husband who she will never know.
 
My rating: 4 Stars
 
My opinion: Oh my goodness, this was my type of book. First, it is beautifully written. There is almost as deep of a mysterious beauty and grace to the writing that compliments the storyline. 

Ms. Choo was so descriptive in her writing of the settings, particularly in the area of Plains of the Dead, that I almost felt that I was there. I must admit that she was a bit weak on the character development side; otherwise, this would have easily have been a 5 star read for me. 

I have seen other reviewers comment on the author's focus and deep knowledge of Chinese folklore and such. As I am not conversant in that area, I can't comment, but it wouldn't shock me. 

I would add that this is a book that I might read again. 
 
Source: Publisher for review
       
Would I recommend? : Oh yes. I loved this book. It was one of the most unique ghost stories I have ever read. 
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand alone

No comments:

Post a Comment