Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Deadly Secrets (Port Astor #1) by Sandra Orchard





Book: Deadly Secrets (Port Astor #1)
 
Author: Sandra Orchard
 
Narrator (if applicable): N/A

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: From Goodreads.com:


Research scientist Kate Adams and her colleague Daisy are on the brink of a breakthrough for treating depression with herbal medicine when Daisy suddenly dies. Kate knows that if it hadn’t been for Daisy’s mentorship, she wouldn’t have the job she loves or the faith she clings to. So when police rule Daisy’s death a suicide, Kate is determined to unearth the truth.
Former FBI agent Tom Parker finds it hard to adjust to life back in his hometown of Port Aster. Though an old buddy gives him a job as a detective on the local police force, not everyone approves. Tom’s just trying to keep a low profile, so when Kate Adams demands he reopen the investigation of her friend’s death, he knows his job is at stake. In fact, despite his attraction to her, Tom thinks Kate looks a bit suspicious herself.
As evidence mounts, a web of intrigue is woven around the sleepy town of Port Aster. Can Kate uncover the truth? Or will Tom stand in her way? 

My rating: 3 Stars
 
My opinion: While I found this story kept me entertained, it didn't catch my fancy and took me well over 2 months. Readers of my reviews know this is never the case unless a book just doesn't do it for me and I must read it because of a commitment to the publisher. I ended up skimming the better half of it.

I found the characters to be predictable as we find in the better chunk of romances. The smart damsel in distress and the desirable, mysterious strong man coming to rescue her. Of course, they develop an attachment.  Just so cookie cutter to me! I had thought this one would be different as Kate is a scientist set out to discover who murdered her mentor and made it to look like suicide. It wasn't. I must admit that I should have known better.   
 
Source:  Publisher for review 
     
Would I recommend? : No, I will tell the readers of this blog that I read this book 2 months ago and I can't remember a thing about it. I am very happy that I took notes while reading. I will only recommend books that "stay with me." 

Now, on that note, I will inform my readers that I have peers who have rated this book as 4 and 5 stars. I would not take my review of this book as gospel and maybe look at other reviews as well prior to making a decision to purchase. 
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: First in series

No comments:

Post a Comment