Friday, January 17, 2014

A Fatal Likeness (Charles Maddox #2) by Lynn Shepherd





Book: A Fatal Likeness (Charles Maddox #2)
 
Author: Lynn Shepherd
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis:  From Goodreads.com:

A mystery that explores the dark lives and unexplained secrets of the poet Percy Bysshe Shelley, and his wife Mary, author of Frankenstein.

In the dying days of 1850 the young detective Charles Maddox takes on a new case. His client? The only surviving son of the long-dead poet Percy Bysshe Shelley, and his wife Mary, author of Frankenstein.

Charles soon finds himself being drawn into the bitter battle being waged over the poet’s literary legacy, but then he makes a chance discovery that raises new doubts about the death of Shelley’s first wife, Harriet, and he starts to question whether she did indeed kill herself, or whether what really happened was far more sinister than suicide.

As he’s drawn deeper into the tangled web of the past, Charles discovers darker and more disturbing secrets, until he comes face to face with the terrible possibility that his own great-uncle is implicated in a conspiracy to conceal the truth that stretches back more than thirty years.

The story of the Shelleys is one of love and death, of loss and betrayal. In this follow-up to the acclaimed Tom-All-Alone’s, Lynn Shepherd offers her own fictional version of that story, which suggests new and shocking answers to mysteries that still persist to this day, and have never yet been fully explained.
 

My rating: 2 Stars
 
My opinion: INCREDIBLY SLOW MOVING PLOT!! I had a difficult time with this book keeping my interest due to this. This book took me 1.5 weeks to finish. Unheard of for me. 

Ms. Shepherd continues to the series which is incredibly character driven. I would recommend reading number one in the series prior to picking up this one. Characters are written vividly, as well as the scenery which puts the reader into the story. For most books, this is critical. In this book, however, it went a bit over the top and ended up dragging down the story. 

I still love this author though for the period in which she writes. Have to say that I enjoyed the first in series much deeper than this one. 
 
Source:  Publisher for review
      
Would I recommend? : Yes, I enjoy this series. Just expect this one to be a slightly slower read. I know I plan on continuing with this series.
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Part of Series

No comments:

Post a Comment