Friday, January 24, 2014

The Absence of Mercy: A Novel by John Burley





Book:  The Absence of Mercy: A Novel
 
Author: John Burley
 
Narrator (if applicable): N/A

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: How well do you know your neighbors? In the sleepy town of Winterville, OH, it is very clear that the answer is not very well. 

Dr. Ben Stevenson, the town medical examiner, can't believe when he is called in to investigate the murder of a teen boy. A boy well known in town and killed in a brutal way. More brutal than this town would ever expect. When the victims start to pile up, fear takesover.

Is the killer from out of town or one of there own? Does Dr. Stevenson really want the answer to that question or will the answers rip apart his life and the life of this small village where everyone knows one another? 
 
My rating: 4 Stars
 
My opinion: I gotta say that I really enjoyed this debut novel. Was some tightening in the writing needed? Yes, to be honest, it was.

On that note, I felt this book was fast paced with some nice twists, as well as some twisted moments, that kept me guessing.  Although I did find Dr. Stevenson's character somewhat annoying and condescending at times, I must say that I loved the capture of small town living and the unique characters.

Source:  Publisher for review
      
Would I recommend? : Already have!
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand alone

No comments:

Post a Comment