Thursday, August 30, 2012

Freedom Burning: Anti-slavery and Empire in Victorian Britain by Richard Huzzey



Book: Freedom Burning: Anti-slavery and Empire in Victorian Britain

Author: Richard Huzzey

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Huzzey takes a look at Britain's debate on slavery in their own country, the United States and throughout the free world during the Victorian reign.

My rating: 5 Stars

My opinion: I found myself absolutely fascinated by this well researched book. I have read well over 100 books on the Civil War and slavery issues. The information found in this book, though, was fresh and fascinating to me.  It was interesting to see the debate on slavery when the Britain's had passed the Slavery Abolish Act of 1833, which only ended slavery in the western outlying British territories, only 32 years before our Emancipation Proclamation.  Furthermore, I only limited my knowledge to slavery limited to the US, so I found myself devouring the information on "the slave industry" of Europe which didn't really stop through out the late 19th century.

I also enjoyed the writing style of this author. On a topic that could have been dryly written, he kept it fresh and flowing.

Source: Netgalley for Publisher

Would I recommend? : Most definitely. I already have for those who love this period of time like I do. It was full of

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

 

No comments:

Post a Comment