Monday, August 13, 2012

The Chronicles of Brendan Earle, Apprentice Mage by Bob Studholme


Book: The Chronicles of Brendan Earle, Apprentice Mage

Author: Bob Studholme

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Two teens, Phoebe and Adam, are thrust into the world of THE LAND, a place with all the creatures and beings that we thought only existed in fairy tales. or our nightmares are at war. Can these two save humanity and make it out alive?

My rating: 3 Stars

My opinion: Overall, I thought that this was a cool book. I loved the images and descriptions written by Mr. Studholme. I am starting to just get into Dystopian literature and part of the reason is that authors normally can write scene descriptions of "far away" places that a creative reader can imagine in their minds. This book, while not the best, was chomping at the heels of some really good ones that I have read. There were a couple of things that I had a more difficult time with in regards to this book that I haven't in the past though.

These include:
  • This book is written in multiple person perspective. It made the book very difficult to follow at times. Because of this, it took me about 100 pages to get into the "rhythm" of the book. I ended up needing to take a couple of notes to track important events. This book would have been a "couldn't put it down" for me if this wasn't the case.
  • There were some grammatical errors that I thought made the book come off looser and less professional than what it should have been and really detracted from how good of a story line this book had. I felt the book could have benefited from the services of an editor.
In reviewing some of the other reviews on Goodreads, the topic of the use of jargon was brought up frequently. Personally, I didn't have an issue with that. I thought it added to the story and made the characters "approachable".

Source: Author provided

Would I recommend? : Yes, maybe be prepared to take notes as I did.

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: To be part of a series


No comments:

Post a Comment