Saturday, August 4, 2012

Into the Darkest Corner Elizabeth Haynes


Book: Into the Darkest Corner

Author: Elizabeth Haynes

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Catherine Bailey is in downward abusive spiral with her gorgeous and charming boyfriend, Lee that proves that beauty is only skin deep, when she musters the courage to break free after an incident, in which he leaves Catherine for dead and lands Lee in prison. Jump ahead 4 years, Lee is out and wants to reconnect with Catherine (or does he?), who suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, from the abuse suffered at the hands of Lee, has completely  changed her life living in a new city with a new career and, now,  goes by the name Cathy. Are incidents that occur in Cathy's new place Lee up to his old games or just a figment of her imagination?

My rating: 3 Stars

My opinion: I must say that I think I over hyped this book in my head. Two authors who are on my favorites lists had reviewed this book and given it stellar reviews, so I eagerly chomped at the bit to get my hands on it.

The book fell flat to me. It is written in one of the most schizophrenic manners, in which, it jumps back and forth in time...sometimes within a page or two, so it becomes difficult to follow. As a result of this format, I think the book lacked in the intensity which was promised in the storyline. Readers are forced to focus on the when of scenes and keeping storylines straight instead of the what is happening, the who and why....which, by the way, is creepy in its' own right! Now, I must admit that I am not in this author's head. She could have chosen this format to "play up" the main character's PTSD diagnosis and symptomalogy associated with this mental illness. I am not sure.

On a positive note, I was incredibly impressed with Ms. Haynes' depiction of the downward spiral of spousal abuse. This was clearly an area where the author did significant research because she nailed the "signs" even to the smallest detail.

Source: Library

Would I recommend? : I still would recommend. Just go in maybe ready to take notes if necessary.

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone


No comments:

Post a Comment